Health care consent line
***FROM 2 JANUARY 2020 THE HEALTH CARE CONSENT LINE WILL NO LONGER OPERATE 24 HOURS A DAY. NEW OPERATING HOURS WILL BE MON-FRI 7AM – 7PM AND SAT-SUN 9AM – 5PM***
The Office of the Public Guardian provides consent for health care matters for adults if their decision making capacity is permanently or temporarily impaired.
We can provide this consent as:
- their guardian
- their attorney under an Enduring Power of Attorney
- a Statutory Health Attorney of last resort
Health providers requiring a health care consent can call our 24 hour health care line and speak to a delegate guardian. Please note that if you are requesting consent as the Statutory Health Attorney of last resort you should first have made all reasonable attempts to contact an appropriate decision maker in the adult’s life.
We cannot provide consent for health care for people under 18 years of age.
Health care consent is required for treatments such as:
- Withholding or withdrawal of life sustaining measures
- Endoscopy or colonoscopy
- Pap smear
- Dental treatment such as fillings or teeth removal
Health care consent is not required for treatments such as:
- Urgent health care
- Minor and uncontroversial health care such as first aid, non-intrusive examinations such as a visual examination and giving medication normally obtained without a prescription.
For a health care consent for an adult with impaired decision making capacity, please call 1300 753 624.