Disputing a decision made by the OPG

If you believe the decision was made on incorrect or incomplete information, you can contact the officer to discuss the information. You can also write to the officer setting out the information that you know. If you disagree with the reasons, you should speak to the officer about your concerns. If you do not want to contact the officer, you may speak or write to their manager.

The Office of the Public Guardian’s handling of complaints is in line with the Department of Justice and Attorney-General’s complaints management policy. An internal review of the decision may occur if the:

  • information you provide is not already known by the officer
  • the Public Guardian considers there are grounds for a review.

Our formal complaints process can also consider whether the process the officer used was appropriate and complied with our policies and the principles contained in the guardianship laws. Requests for a review of a decision should be made in writing.

If you are still concerned after completion of the complaints process and the internal review of the decision, you can contact the Queensland Ombudsman.